Submissions open January 1st for
Snowbound: Best New England Crime Stories 2017
Beginning January 1st Level Best Books will be accepting submissions for the fifteenth Best New England Crime Stories anthology. Snowbound: Best New England Crime Stories will be published in November 2017 and debut at the New England Crime Bake.
The submission requirements and procedures have changed from previous years, so please read the guidelines carefully before submitting.
- Stories must be set in New England or be written by a New England author* in the following genres: mystery, thriller, suspense, caper, and horror from any time period (historical, modern day, future, etc.), and during any season of the year.
- Please indicate which New England state is featured in your story (this is especially important for non-New England authors)
- Stories must not exceed 5,000 words.
- Stories must be previously unpublished in print or electronically, including self-published works (to include author websites).
- Stories from both previously unpublished and published authors will be considered.
- The Level Best editors will consider up to two stories from the same author per anthology**
- Stories submitted previously, and not published in the interim, are welcome, especially those that have been revised.
- New England stories are set in the six New England states: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. If you have questions about whether your story qualifies, please query before submitting
- We will not consider stories that feature graphic scenes of torture or sex
*Please note: This is a change from previous years. Authors do not need to reside in New England to be eligible.
**While we will consider up to two stories by any author, only one story per author will appear in any anthology
How To Submit:
Submissions will be accepted from January 1 – May 31, 2017
- Please email your submission to VerenaRose@comcast.net
- Type “SNOWBOUND Short Story Submission” in the subject line of your email (without it attachments will not be opened). We have overlapping submission periods for different anthologies so please indicate which you are submitting to.
- Include your name, address, phone number, email, story title, word count, and a brief summary of your publishing experience (if any) in the body of the email
- Please paginate your story (format page numbers in either the header or footer of the document)
- Send your story as a Word attachment, double-spaced
- Please either type ### or “The End” to indicate the ending of your story
- Submissions will be read blindly by the judges. Your story will be coded to insure anonymity before it is sent to the judges, therefore your name should not appear anywhere on the document
- We will promptly acknowledge the receipt of your submission
- There is no entry fee
- Level Best Books is a paying market & an MWA approved publisher
- You may simultaneously submit your story for consideration for the anthology and the Al Blanchard Award, which is judged separately.