Level Best Books is now accepting submissions for the anthology entitled Windward to be published in November of 2016. The submission requirements under the new team of editors for Level Best have changed, so please read them carefully before submitting. We’re very excited to be carrying on this great tradition of New England short crime fiction and we can’t wait to read your work. Submissions will be accepted between January 1 – May 31, 2016.
• Stories must be set in New England* or be written by a New England author in the following genres: mystery, thriller, suspense, caper, and horror. (No torture/killing of children or animals).
• Stories must not exceed 5,000 words.
• Stories must be previously unpublished in print or electronically, including self-published works (to include author websites).
• Stories from both published and unpublished authors will be considered.
• The Level Best editors will consider up to two stories from the same author in the same submission year.
• Stories submitted once previously, and not published in the interim, are welcome, especially those that have been revised.
• New England stories are set in the six New England* states: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island. If you have questions about whether your story qualifies, please query before submitting.
*Please note: this is a change from previous years. Authors do not need to reside in New England to be considered for the anthology.
How to submit
• Submissions are open from January 1 – May 31, 2016
• Please email your submission to VerenaRose@comcast.net
• Type Short Story Submission in the subject line of your email (without it attachments will not be opened)
• Include your name, address, phone number, email, story title, word count, and New England state represented by you/your story, and a brief summary of your publishing experience (if any) in the body of the email.
• Send your story as a Word attachment, double-spaced.
• The attachment will be coded to insure anonymity and be sent on to the judges, therefore your name should not appear anywhere on the attachment.
• We will promptly acknowledge the receipt of your submission.
• There is no entry fee.